a tribute to my Dak's ABS

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Sat Apr 12 1997 - 00:19:17 EDT

My 97 Dakota is the first vehicle I have owned with ABS. I have the 4-wheel
ABS system on my truck. Today I had to put the ABS to the test. I was
cruising down a residential street at about 40 mph when a little girl about
5-years-old came right out in front of me on her little bike. My first
reaction was to jam the brakes hard. The ABS kicked in and stopped the
truck in a very short distance without any lock-up and with very little
pedal vibration. There's no doubt in my mind that if I was still driving my
89 T-bird (without ABS) that I would have slid right into the little girl.
I can thank my dakota and the people at Chrysler (or Bendix) for preventing
the possible injury or death of a little girl. The worst part of the
incident was that her mother was standing in the yard and saw the entire
thing unfold. I've never seen such terror in the face of a human before.
I'm very grateful.

               Andy Callahan
      quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net
  '97, V8, CC, Sport, 3.55, 5-speed, 4x2