Re: K&N clone

From: John Walker (dakota@wku.campus.mci.net)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 00:45:19 EDT

Jules, doesn't cooler, dense air typicaly = more horsepower? What about
intercooled Turbo and Supercharged cars? An intercooler is typically good
for 20+ horsepower. Intercoolers are inherently restrictive, but combined
with the force at which a turbo or supercharger moves air, it cools the air
making it more dense, and ultimately creates more horsepower. A tried and
true performance modification for many Japanese and American sport cars,
including Chrysler (1988-up Turbo II's and 92-93 Turbo III).

This is also a big debate among Mustang owners. A K&N conicle filter makes
a significant performance boost, but it draws warm air right off the engine.
Combine the conicle with a ram air type system and the performance is even
greater (it sucks in that cool, dense air).

My truck "seems" to run much better and feel much pepier when it is cooler
outside, humidity plays a large part also. I have also seen a few people at
the drag strip put their intake on "ice". I believe the key here is to cool
incoming air. It may drop 1/4 mile time by only a fraction of a second, but
that fraction of a second could be the difference in victory and defeat!

This is just what I have been raised on, I have always been under the
impression that cool, dense air = more horsepower. I have heard people say
that warmer air is better for mileage? This is just a thought, I may not of
understood you correctly, you did say an increase in torque not horsepower.

John