Re: K&N clone

From: J B Cleary (bcleary@interlog.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 08:01:48 EDT

----------
> From: jules <jghunter@nol.net>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: K&N clone
> First,
> > your sucking hot under-hood air into the engine which everyone knows is
> > less dense and produces less power that higher density cool air your
> > original system was drawing in from the front of the engine!
>
> WRONG!... ambient air temp from relative wind overcomes hot air in eng
> comp... but more imp... warm air in larger quantity is better for torque
> that small quantity of denser air volume for volume... basic high school
> physics...

What High School!? I don't think they teach much on Internal Combustion
Engine dynamics in high school. Cool air rules for an engine. I'll use
the overused and stupid phrase of 'well if it works so well why don't the
manufactures do it'. They all go to a lot of trouble to route tubing to
the front of the vehicle to get that cool air.

> > Even with these mods your engine can only draw in as much as the
throttle
> > will allow.
>
> WRONG!... the engine will draw in as much air as it is able to taking
> into the total combination of the parts... up to the efficient level of
> volumetric efficiency... give a certain air flow as in cfm...

Excuse me but if a throttle body or carb is rated for 650cfm then all the
air cleaners in the freakin world aren't going to increase this past
650cfm. Only a turbo or supercharger forcing air through will increase
past that mark.