Re: K&N clone

From: Matt Kunkel (speedracer@wku.campus.mci.net)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 20:34:02 EDT

>WRONG!... ambient air temp from relative wind overcomes hot air in eng
>comp... but more imp... warm air in larger quantity is better for torque
>that small quantity of denser air volume for volume... basic high school
>physics...
>

>WRONG!... the engine will draw in as much air as it is able to taking
>into the total combination of the parts... up to the efficient level of
>volumetric efficiency... give a certain air flow as in cfm...
>

>just thot you'd care to know...:)
>
>jules

First, every magazine, book, and tv show I have every seen has said that
cooler dense air will always produce more horsepower than warmer air. The
only reason you are making more horsepower with an open element air cleaner,
is because it is less restrictive than the stock system. The factory idea
of routing cooler air into the engine is much better, the only flaw is that
the stock system is very restrictive. If you make the same type of system,
but with larger piping, smoother bends, and a K&N filter, you will
definitely see a bigger improvement in HP. Oh yeah! Make the whole thing
chrome, it will add an extra 10 hp!! Sorry for the sarcasm, it is an
ongoing redneck joke of mine.

Second, yes you can gain more hp with the stock throttle body, but only to a
certain point. At this point it will be like sucking air through a straw.
If you make the throttle body larger and give the engine all the air it
needs, then your weakest link in your chain will be the engine and how much
fuel can you give it.

Matt