Re: What a bag of Worms [was: K&N Clone]

From: Scott Vieth (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 17:06:29 EDT

Larry wrote:

> There was also a comment about if it was so good the factory'd do it
> already. Which is why we have all the aftermarket parts which improve
> performance. Lotsa people like peace and quiet, performance be d**ned.

Why didn't the factory do it that way? Because the truck would be
too loud and cost too much. Would you pay an extra $2000 for a 300hp
Magnum engine in your brand new Dakota. Probably. Would everyone
pay it? No. The factory has to cater to the least common
denominator so they don't hurt sales.

That leaves the aftermarket stuff for people like us. I would have
checked the box on the order sheet that said "Hot cam and Super
Street Throttle Body" but Dodge doesn't offer an option like that.
So I'll be sending my money to Summit and Jules.

This trend has been going on for some years. Looks at the first-gen
Camaros (67-69). They were "okay" when they came from the factory
but look at what Yenko and Nickey did to those cars. Also, look at
the Z28s coming from The General today. GM could offer a hopped-up
Z28 but not as many would be sold. So, instead SLP gets to modify a
number of Z28s and sell them to the die-hard performance freaks.

I guess the moral of the story is:

"Just cause the factory didn't do it doesn't mean it's not a great
idea."

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone