Re: Autoweek report

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 09:15:17 EDT

> Their particular test vehicle is a 2WD CC V8 Auto(3.55) and they claim
> 0-60 in 8.63 with 1/4 mile 82.4 mph@ 16.67. (weight 3931). One of the
> trucks it's compared against is the Toyota Tacoma SR-5 with a quote of
> 0-60 in 7.7sec

  I could believe this. The Tacoma was new in '95 when I bought the
Dakota, and I checked it out as well. One of the reasons I _didn't_
buy the Tacoma is because it's top-of-the-line brand-new-bugs-not-
worked-out-yet OHC V6 had a torque curve pretty much straight out of
the 300ZX. Low-rpm torque was shitty. 190 HP is nice, but not at
5500 rpm.

  Why on Earth would somebody want a sports car engine in a truck?
I need to tow stuff and haul the occasional 1500#+ load as well as
prove my manhood on the freeway onramps. Give me a torquey V8
any day.

  And when I saw the pricetag on the Tacoma (that Toyota quality
mythos again?), I went straight back to the Dodge dealer. The
Tacoma simply did not provide the same bang for the buck that the
Dakota did.

  Ron