Re: MSD Problem

From: Dan Myers (waterfn@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 23:43:47 EDT

John Lindsay wrote:

> Been having some problems with my Dak ('95 V8, SLT, CC, auto, 4x4). Twice
> in the last two weeks, while my wife was driving it, it refused to start.
>
> The first time, she drove it 75 miles or so, came back 8 hours later & it
> would crank, but not start. She called me at home, & I told her to open the
> hood & make sure all of the plug/coil wires on the dist. cap were on tight.
> She pushed them all down, & it started. I think this might be just a
> coincidence.
>
> The second time, I was out of town on business so she couldn't call, but
> she did the same thing.... pushed on all the wires, no good..... she had to
> have it towed home. I got back home 4 days later, turned the key, & it fired
> right up. Drove it all day today with no problems.
>
> I put the MSD system in 2 weeks or so before this started.
>
> Here's the only things I can guess are the problem...
>
> (1) The MSD unit is bad.
>
> Doesn't seem likely, since electronics tend to either work or not work. An
> intermittent internal short is possible though.
>
> (2) The MSD unit has a wire that's supposed to go to a "switched 12v power
> source".... something turned on when the key is turned on. I ran mine to
> the + wire that originally went to the coil. The thing is, this is not a
> "constant" switched power source..... the computer only sends 12v to the
> coil while cranking or running. With the key in the run position, but
> engine off, there's no voltage. But it worked. Or at least it seems to
> work. I've only had these two incidents.
>
> You guys with MSD's, where did you run that wire to? Any other ideas? I'm
> starting to get "that look", that says "the truck was =fine= before you
> decide to mess with it". You know the look.
>
> Thanx for any input.
>
> Maddog

I had a problem a few months ago with my 92. one day it starts the next
it doesn't, at first i tried messing with all the wires and it would
start half the time. I then started to replace all electical parts,
still did not fix it. one thing mine did do when it was running was
charging at 18 volts when it was running, (not a good thing) I broke
down and took it to the dealer and they said I had a brocken wire in the
harness. I guess this wire was totaly shutting down the computer and
everything still don't understand why it did it one day and not the next
though. anyway no problem with it since. Hope this helps
Dan