Re: 2100RPM at 70, not 2150

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 00:21:22 EDT

Dan Myers wrote:

> > Jeff
> > '97 CC, 5.2L, 3.55, auto, 2wd
> I am curios about this tire size and gear ratio, I run 255/60/15 with
> 3:55 gears, I run at 2000rpm at 70 my tires are'nt 31" tall so how can I
> be turning the same rpm as you. how far off is one of our speedo's?
> also anyone know how to tell if you have a suregrip in the rear without
> a teardown. Thanks Dan

Dan,
I have 3.55's, auto, and 255/60 15's. I turn exactly 2000 at exactly
65mph. BUT, my speedo shows 70. I used a police radar unit which was
calibrated the same day to check mine. It is the 255's that throw the
speedo off. At the 65 - 70 mph range the difference is almost exactly
5mph more than actual speed. So I drive at an indicated 75 all the time
(70mph zones) and no trouble from the smokies. Before I knew about the
speedo difference I would always notice that everyone tended to pass me
alot. Then when I drove my old 4X4 Chevy at the same speed and stayed
with the flow of the traffic I realized something was off. So eeze that
needle up one notch and get goin! If you get a ticket, just tell the
cop that some dude on the internet said you could do it. I'm sure he
would love that one...

--
Michael Clark           mike@snakebite.com
93, LE, 2wd, reg. cab, SWB