Re: Dak headers: Shorty vs. Thorley

From: Scott Vieth (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 12:21:37 EDT

Sean:

> I think what you're getting with the DT's is the mandrel bent
> crossover pipe. I haven't been under the truck yet but the best case
> scenario would be a compression bent crossover with *no* crimp.
>
> I think the DT's have longer primaries as well. When you're lookin'
> for power you want as close to a long tube header as you can get.
> Power levels for headers of the same primary diameter and collector
> size would rank from low to high as:
>
> 1) Unequal length shorties.
> 2) Equal length shorties.
> 3) Long tube (or in the case of the DT's/Mopar a mid length header)
>
> My big gripe is the $400+ bucks. I tried to get ahold of someone at
> Edelbrock today for a release date for the TES #6664 Dakota headers
> (these will come sans crossover) but the line is always busy. I even
> tried Summits tech line and was on hold for 10 min. before I finally
> hung up. Maybe tomorrow I can try to email Performance International
> and possibly get a group purchase goin' eventually for some goodies
> for the '97's.

Hold on a second before you make any more calls. I've got a place on
the West Coast looking at the price of the 6664s for me. This is
odd. You must have been reading my mind. They're going to check to
see if they'll fit the '97 Dakota, the price and the ship date.

Soooo, you'd buy the Edelbrock headers even though they are the
"shorty" style?

I'll let you know what I hear from place on the West coast (J&M
Speed Center ).

The quote I got from that shop for the D.T.s for the '97 is $549.
Youch!!!

According to Lisa at J&M, there is something special about the '97s
that raises the price on the D.T. headers.

I also spoke to Gibson. They're going to be making a shorty-style
header for the '97 but not for a few months. They're busy working on
Chevy products right now. ha ha ha!!

I've emailed Jules to get his two cents on the whole thing. I'll
forward his reply over to you when I get it.

I spoke to my contact at Computer Horizons today. Things still look
good for me at DMC. My new boss at DMC is working on the paperwork
to get me hired even though there is a hiring freeze right now. I
should hear for sure sometime later this week.

Get back to work and design some more fans. Those rice burners are
over-heating!!! :^) :^) :^)

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone