QUESTIONS-suregrip/warranty-etc.

From: James Hahn (jahahn@umr.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 18:01:31 EDT

I subscribed to the list last fall and have been quietly reading along
waiting for my time to strike.

I purchased a 94 emerald green extended cab v8 4x2 3.55 sslip ...
last November and have
a long list of mods I would like to make this summer while I am out of
school.
The biggest is a differential change from sure-slip to sure-grip.
Easy right? several posts have been made about best price and how to go
about it.
Here is my dilema. I have the 7/70 powertrain warranty with 4 years and
almost 40000 miles left on the clock.
I talked to the service reps at my local dealer and one said rather
convincingly that as long as I keep a receipt and use the factory
replacement part I could have my 10 year old cousin install it and it
will be covered under the remainder of my warranty and the other rep said
12 months 12000 miles until he was "corrected" by the other rep.
I cannot afford on my limited income to void the factory warranty.
On the other hand I cannot afford to not be able to get where I need to
go (i.e. up a slightly icy slope). A couple hundred pounds of concrete
patio blocks just don't do the trick all the time and if I don't leave
home with them and get stuck on the jobsite in inclement weather I am up
the creek. ( unfortunate personal experiences from this past winter the
jist of which I am sure you get.)
Enough b.s. Has anyone else come under similar circumstances regarding
the warranty or inquired their local service reps with similar replies.
Before I swap diffs I need to know in no uncertain terms that I am in the
clear. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this problem, as
you can see I have been saving this up for awhile.

More questions to follow....

Jim Hahn