Re: No Muffler

From: Sean P Meldrum (Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 12:16:36 EDT

     Quite a few on the Ram list have gone this route. Most like the
     sound. I'm one of those types that like the exhaust tone to be "stand
     up and slap ya in the face" loud! Screw the neighbors I say.

     The one complaint I've heard has been a reduction in low end power.
     This can be avoided by making sure the pipe diameter is kept to a
     reasonable size. Remember, you're removing a restriction (muffler)
     and replacing it with two exits. If you go crazy you'll kill your
     backpressure for sure. I would probably stay at no more than 2 1/4"
     for the dual portion of the system. If you want a big pipe look have
     'em weld on a couple of 3" chrome tips at the end.

     If I've got time this weekend I'm going to lop off my muffler and see
     what it does (performance *and* sound wise). If it's too loud or the
     performance drops I'll stick a turbo muffler on temporarily until I
     decide what I really want to do system wise. Ultimately I want *true*
     duals. Whether that means two cats and no mufflers, two cats and low
     restriction muffler(s), or dummy #2 O2 sensors/no cat/ and hi flow
     muffler I'm undecided on.

     Let us know how your setup turns out though Keith. I'll be eager to
     hear the results.

     *********************97 Dakota Sport************************
     * *
     * sean meldrum Email: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com *
     * *
     * Black, reg. cab, 2wd, 318, 5spd, 3.55 SG, FIPK clone, *
     * MSD 6A and Blaster coil awaiting installation. *
     * *

Well, I guess nobody has tried a dual system without a muffler yet. I've
made an appointment to have mine done this Saturday. I'll let everyone
know how it turns out.

Keith Wanderi
Deluxe Corporation
keith.wanderi@fsg.deluxe.com