Re: Gear Ratio's

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Fri May 02 1997 - 15:54:40 EDT

On Fri, 02 May 1997 22:43:27 -0400, you wrote:

Details are sketchy at this point but....

>Iam definitly ordering a 98 Dakota R/T this spring! My question is, with
>the 5.9L (360 cu) motor and 250HP and 330 LB. of torque should I go with
>the 3.55 gear or go up to the 3.90 rear end? Is it worth the extra pull
>off the line for the added decrease in fuel mileage for long trips?
>any info would be a great help!!!

Depends on you. What are you going to do with it? 4X4 or 2WD? I have
the 3.90's and I average 16 MPG with the 31" tires. They pull like
crazy, and give you a better GVWR, but they will hurt mileage a
little, and they can drive you nuts in heavy traffic with a stick
shift like mine.

>also any new info regarding the 98 Dakota R/T would be a plus. Iam
>specifically looking for Colour options and descriptions of the
>graphics.

Saw a picture of one, and it looked like a normal Dakota. It didn't
have the Indy Ram's cool stripes or wheels, but that could change
closer to production, or they may have just put a normal Dakota
picture up with the story.

>Will the R/T have the same 17 inch wheels the Ram SS/T has? Or will it
>have the stock 'fat' wheels from the optional 'tire & wheel pkg.'???

I read somewhere that it has the same wheels as they do now. Check out
Ron Wilson's Ram page, he had the info I think....

        http://www.rswilson.com/ram/ramnews.html

If I had know about the upcoming RT package I would have waited...oh
well.

        Steve
1997 Dakota 4X4, CC, 5.2LT, 5 speed, everything 'cept the anti-locks