Wind resistance; was: High RPM's etc.

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 18:52:05 EDT

Alan Casey wrote:

> > 50% throttle for 105.
> > --
> > Michael Clark
> >

> Damn Mike, That must mean
> you can go 210 at full
> throttle. That's pretty
> cool. :)
>
> Alan...

The fastest I've got so far is 203mph but I'm working on it! :-)

No really, I thought someone might think this but here is what I beleive
is happening. There is some sort of curve as to power needed for a
certain speed. Given the areodynamics I think the faster you go the
resistance sorta builds on itself so that to go 110 vs. 105 would take
considerable more throttle. To go 115 or higher would take even more
power. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the faster the speed, the
more air resitance plays a part. The "Brick Wall" theory... Maybe
someone else could exlpain this better than me. When it was stock I
could get to 100 pretty easily but after that the accel rate would
really drop off, hadn't had a chance to "test it" now. There was alot
of pedal left at 105 though. It "felt" like it would do 210, if it
feels fast who cares what it would really do...

And 50% was an estimate, but the maximum it could possibly have been was
65%. I use 100% of the pedal everyday so I'm very familiar with how
much travel it has...

--
Michael Clark           mike@snakebite.com
93, LE, 2wd, reg. cab, SWB