Re: High RPM's etc.

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 19:42:51 EDT

<< A major part of the problem was the pre-magnum 318...A lot less
 HP than a Magnum (165 max vs. 220/230)... People with V6 Dakotas could
 the hills faster than me! >>
 Don't know much about the pre magnum 318 but from what you described there
was definitely a power problem. I know some of the car earlier trannys were
problems also but I have not found any type of a problem with mine. I had a
problem early on that my (poor excuse of a) dealer told me was normal (of
course everything was normal to that jerk) and turned out to be a cable
adjustment. The shift points are controlled by the cable and the cable was
not adjusted right and the thing was shifting into 2nd at about 2 mph and
then would not shift back down. (long story short I bought a service contract
from a local dealer who agreed to do all work on the truck) His Mech took it
for a ride and what I thought was a problem with first was actually already
in 2nd, He adjusted the cable and wola new vehicle and has worked well since.
I have a 35' travel trailer (not hauling it anymore at the present) and
hauled it only a couple of times but did very well. Locked out OD as per
manual and took it up Rte 17 hilly section at 55 on cruise and it kept it
right there. Also on hills this truck rarely shifts unless BIG hill and then
usually shifts out of OD and stays there until near top of hill then Back to
OD and stays, does not search. You had me really confused but we were not in
the same ball park and makes more sense now..

Bill