High RPM's etc.

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 12:33:00 EDT

> I got 'er up to about 110 in 3rd gear. I had to let off for it to
shift
> into 4th and when I did let off, I was at 105. I was still

>110 in 3rd gear? I'm no expert, but how healthy is this for the
>tranny. I redline at about 85 in 3rd gear with the 3.21 gears. How
>high of rpms is actually safe. I have heard you guys talking about
>shifting at 5500 and 5700. That is way into the red. This may be a
>stupid question, but it is a legit one. Thanks.
>Ryan

Ryan has a good point here... the same article in this months Mopar
Muscle which talks about Intake mods... lists two problems with Magnum
engines... one is the intake manifold gasket which has a tendency to blow
out, and the other is the heavy lifters the Magnum engines use. The
magazine mentions that high RPMs can be extremely detrimental to your
engine... I forget the RPM numbers, but anywhere past 5500 can result in
the lifters cracking the lifter bore, which will lead to the entire
valvetrain self-destructing... I know I like to get good performance out
of my truck, but not at the cost of major engine repair (even if it would
be warranty)! I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on keeping
my truck *RUNNING* for a few more years!!

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone
MSD Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon!