Re: 318 for '89 Dak

From: rdab@snet.net
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 00:33:18 EDT

AM14@chrysler.com wrote:

> *** Resending note of 05/08/97 10:36
> To: T0866TO --CLIC Obryan, Tim S DAKOTA --INTERNET
>
> From: Azie Magnusson, CMIS Coordinator
> Subject: 318 for '89 Dak
>
> Has anyone experience with installing a 318/360 in an '89 Dak 4X2 longbed?
> Truck came equipped with 3.9L (sawed off 318) AOD SMEC TBI. I've already
> reworked the AOD. (BAD NEWS A500) Truck is completely stock except has a 9"
> FOMOCO car rear. (The 7 1/4 that came in it lasted a mere 85000 mi and
> junkyards wanted an arm and a leg for an 8 1/4 replacement. The FOMOCO car has
> same bolt pattern and there are litterally millions of these available for
> very little cash.) I would like to upgrade to MPI and SBEC. What underhood
> wiring harness will work? How do I compensate for the different length of 318
> vs 3.9L. Are motor mounts available for this installation. How about trans
> mount. Does it stay in same location, or will it be different because the 318
> is longer than 3.9L? Oh Yeah!!! I also need more cooling with the 360. What
> radiator will do the job and bolt-in.
>
> I love my trucks ride, but it has never been a PERFORMER. Maybe the 360 will
> help this out a bit!!!!
>
> Let me here all your ideas!!!
>
> WORKING TO BE THE BEST
> Azie Magnusson
> PROFS ID (AM14):E-Mail AM14@Chrysler.com
> Tie Line (835-2578):Outside (205)464-2578

Ive been planning the same for my 87 4x4. I havn't decided whether to go
with a magnum or an earlier carburetted 318. The fuel injected magnum
would be nice, but the electricals are probably more trouble than it's
worth. I plan to overcome the length problem by installing a front clip
from a 91up dak. I've got my eye on a 92 2wd that was T-boned pretty
bad. Should have all the stuff I need to make room for the V-8.

Rich