Re: Wind resistance; was: High Rpm's etc. -Reply

From: Robert Lee Cobb Jr. (S0042745@cedarnet.cedarville.edu)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 09:30:51 EDT

So, maybe you'd be at the same rpm going up or down the hill, but
you'd be using more gas when you're going up the hill because of the
increased amount of power you'd need out of the cylinders to propel
the vehicle at the same engine rpm? You'd need more bang to get your
ride moving at the same speed. . . sound logical?
- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd swb auto
s0042745@cedarville.edu

At 09:38 AM 5/13/97, you wrote:
>At 12:29 PM 5/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>True to a point, however in the real world you do have friction
losses,
>>gravity, elevation above sea level, air density, etc. etc.
>>
>>===================='97 Dakota SLT+=====================
>>
>> L. John Morris<ljohn@alltel.net>
>John:
>
>Makes no difference, with a manual transmission the rear wheels are
>connected to the engine with no slippage. Tach measures engine rpm
and
>road speed can be calculated from gear ratios and engine rpm.
Automatic
>trans is different.
>Rob Agnew
>ragnew@islandnet.com

Hey guys. Hope I'm not stickin' my nose in to a friendly little
debate......but you could look at it like this...if you're pushin'
your
truck down the road it's gonna take a certain amount of work to keep
the
truck movin' 10 mph.......then you come to a hill.....now it's takin'
more
work to get up the hill and still go ten mph. The truck can't work
more
without the rpm raisin'. The downhill trip is gonna have gravity
helpin'
ya out so you're gonna need less work to keep the same speed. Make
sense?
I knew that Physics class would get used somewhere. 8^)

Ok, I'm buttin' out now... ;^)