Re: Jiffy Lube

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 17:14:53 EDT

----------
> From: Jason B. Bleazard <jmbleazard@xactware.com>
> To: dakota@sseg.ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Jiffy Lube
> Date: Wednesday, May 14, 1997 01:31 PM
>
> Well, I just got my oil changed (just over 27,000 miles). I'm a little
annoyed
> with Jiffy Lube right now.
>
> After they got my truck in, they came into the waiting area and told me
that
> Dodge recommends that I get my fuel injectors cleaned every 20k miles. I
> knew that I hadn't ever had that done, and they said they had a $10-off
> special, so I told them to go ahead. I plan on keeping this truck for a
good
> long time, and I've been making every effort to keep up on the
preventative
> maintenance.

        Ok... SUCKER... there..do you feel better???

        I must admit, that I am very particular when it comes to car maint.
When I sent my wife to get an oil change at the local Speedy Lube & Tune,
I sent her with 6 qt.s of Mobil 1 10w30, and a Fram Filter... With your
own oil, the oil change was supposed to be $12.50...

        When she got home and showed me the bill $67.96 I just about flipped
my lid!!! Apparently they did the oil change, but recommended an oil
cleaner... They showed her a small cup of gritty-dirty oil, and said that
the engine
was all grundged up inside, and that this treatment would clean it all out.
 She
said ok (no price was mentioned... AND the oil in the car was always a
honey
golden color went changed, and only had mobil 1 10/30w since 10000 miles-
the car was at 25000 miles then... They apparently brought in oil from
somewhere
else!!). They ended up charging $54.00 and change for the cleaner... I
got in
the car, and drove right down there and demanded an explanation: The unit
that does this is like a dialysis ?sp? machine, and blows the oil in
through the valve
cover, and sucks it out the drain plug hole. So what happens is they put
pressure
through the entire system, and who knows if it increases the oil
pressure... who
knows if it will increase blow by on older cars... They didn't know.

        I went on to ask them where they got off pushing this crap on my wife,
when they didn't ask ANY of the guys in the waiting room getting the same
oil change (while I was there)... They had nothing to say, except that
they would
refund the $54.00... From that day on her car would 'blacken' the oil in
1500 miles,
and would run 1 qt. low after 3000 (it never did before...it's a
Toyota!)...

        So beware of funny schemes that people will push on you... If you want
to keep your injectors clean, run some FI cleaner every once in a
while...And
use good gas....

        Sam '95 SLT