Re: Recalibration of SBEC

From: rlr (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 09:11:42 EDT

> All our Engine controllers now carry a "FLASH" type microprocessor,
> and that means "reprogrammable" (if you have the equipment).

> Well I'll be a sock eyed mule, That was new to me, how much programing can
> one do with the proper equipment and what is the proper equipment??

  Flash memory devices are pretty common in the electronics industry,
and may be programmed with compatible off-the-shelf equipment.
Interface hardware will depend on the component packaging in the
computer (e.g. if CC uses a removable device, it could be inserted
into a standalone programmer connected to a PC; if the device is
surface mounted to the SBEC, hopefully they added a header to connect
a cable to program the device OR you'd have to use a fancy clip to
attach the programmer).

  Of course, you could pay BIG BUCKS to buy the factory equipment.

  The hard part is not programming the flash memory, but figuring
out the controller maps that are in the memory in the first place.
Then deciding what to tweak.

  Does anyone have some information on the inner workings of the
Chrysler engine controllers?

  Ron "'95, No Flash" Rader