RE: Wranglers

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri May 16 1997 - 07:44:58 EDT

At 01:05 AM 5/16/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Like everything else YMMV. I've been using Wranglers ever since I got my used
>Nissan 4X4 (from 50k to current 190K). I was getting equal bad wear on the
inside fronts
>at one point due to a place that didn't know how to align it (toe was WAY
out). I can't remember
>how many sets I've had but believe I get about 30k + out of them.(which is
great compared to
>my car... I like to take corners at speed, even in the truck :-) They
seem to be a good
>compromise for noise, wear, and year round driving for my 4X4 for the
price. Not to say there aren't
>better tires out there(I'm sure there are) but for the price on sale
combined with the fact I usually
>only buy 2 at a time and want to keep the same tire all around they've
done the job for me.
>(so in my case the bad wear was opposite what you've seen, no cupping or
chunking, but inside
>balding due to alignment)
>
>Note these are regular (not AT) Wranglers, size 235-75R15. I'm really not
looking forward to the
>replacement cost of the 31X10.5's on the Dakota Sport, but hey I'll
suffer! :-) (anyone car to comment on
>the noise vs traction on the delivered 31X10.5's? As you can see I'm no
"Monster Mudder" fan)

>-Bob T.

Hey Bob:

Thanks for your comments. YMMV?

Every truck that I have bought has come with car tires. As soon as they
wear out I will replace the Wranglers with LT style tires. You can put more
air in them which removes the squirmy ride, plus the ride is better with a
full load ... the recommended inflation for the Wranglers is 35 psi, which
is max. I suspect they will sway quite a bit with 1,500 lbs. in the back.
My experience is that truck tires will far outlive car tires on a truck,
more than covering the difference in price. I had 50,000 miles (and 8
years) on the Goodyear truck radials on my 3/4 ton and they still had 50%
left. A friend of mine has LT's on his 93 Dakota and the ride is much firmer.

I hope you mean 30,000+ miles not kilometres for life expectancy. I know
the alignement guy personally who checked my truck, no problems with
alignment.

Thanks for your comments.
Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com