MSD 6A -Reply

From: Robert Lee Cobb Jr. (S0042745@cedarnet.cedarville.edu)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 21:07:14 EDT

Mark Robert Hryckiewicz wrote:
"it (MSA 6A and coil) will be here tomorrow and i was looking for any
helpful hints and tips on installing it. "

Well, I mounted the MSD box behind the battery on the fender (it's
attached to the fender using 3 screws (one I had to cut the end off
of because it could possibly have cut a tire on a good bump). I have
a Accel Supercoil (slightly bigger than the Blaster coil) which is
mounted on the other fender, but I know at least one guy on the list
who said he mounted his Blaster coil behind the distributor cap on
the firewall and used one bolt/screw from a windshield wiper motor
mount (I think???) and another one he had to drill to hold it in
place. I'd recommend his installation point over mine because I had
to do a LOT of wire splicing to get the wire long enough to go from
the box to the coil.

"also, what kind of MPG improvements can i expect. it there a
noticeable "seat of the pants" acceleration increase?"

I didn't notice much acceleration increase, but initially I had about
a 10% jump in gas mileage. (Best before MSD and coil was 20.5, after
I had a best of 23.0. . .on the stock computer, I don't know what it
would be with the MPSBEC I've got). Also, it idles smoother. From
data I've read in HotRod Magazine and a few others that have done
tests on MSD units, you can expect a coule mph increase in the
quarter as well as a few tenths drop in ET's. Those small of
increments are really hard to "feel", ya know? Anyway, good luck on
the install.

- Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd swb auto.
s0042745@cedarville.edu