Re: Front clip

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 12:16:13 EDT

----------
> From: JT McBride <James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: Front clip
> Date: Wednesday, May 21, 1997 08:27 AM
>
> > Even more rare would be the prototype '86 Dakotas....
> >They are much different inside than the '87 & '88's... I saw
> >one on television one time..
>
> Prototypes don't count!
>
> Obviously, any prototype is going to be very rare. Let's limit this
> discussion to production vehicles...
>
> But first - any idea what TV program that was on? It'd be neat to get
> a copy and frame grab a few shots for the web page.
>
> Any insiders on the list who could say whether the Dakota was developed
> prior to the Chrysler bankruptcy/bailout, or with the flush of cash
> from the success of the K-car? Always wondered.

        I think it was on Speedvision (last year).... One of their off the wall
shows about cars, where they came from, etc...

        All I remember about when the Dakota's first came out was that
Walker Evans was racing a shortbed, V8 powered off-road racing truck....
He was killing everybody else... He raced against the bigger full size
trucks,
which couldn't keep up. The following year they either A) Outlawed the
mid-size
truck, or B) Limited the displacement (to put it more in line with the mini
trucks for
racing).

        Do you think walker will go back to the new 'Dakota' in off-road??? Hmmm..
A V10 750 HP model... Yeah that's the ticket!

        I've found the RAREST Dakota...

        It's the one that has BOTH front seat belts that retract fully when you
get
out of the truck! :P :P

        ..Sam '95 SLT