Re: Front clip

From: Tom McCabe (mccabet@megsinet.net)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 14:18:56 EDT

Robert P. Agnew wrote:

> At 07:12 AM 5/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hey guys:
> >
> >I think I know what the rarest Dakota is, the one's that run on CNG
> >(compressed Natural Gas). Columbia gas has a couple of the I do believe.
> >
> >Later
> >
> >Scott
>
> Steve:
>
> Hate to take the 'wind out of your sails', but .... CNG (propane)
> conversions are done regularly here... propane is 1/3 - 1/2 the price of
> gasoline. Propaneing Dakotas is very popular, particularly for fleet use.
> I had my 3/4 ton done about 7 years ago, the fuel savings paid for all the
> maitenance (10 mpg).
>
> I'm watching the price of propane, plus the promised road tax on propane
> before I consider doing my Dakota. At 17 mpg (city/highway), the pay-back
> for the installation is much longer. On the 3/4 ton, it took two years to
> pay for the conversion in fuel savings, driving 6,000 miles/year.
>
> Rob Agnew
> ragnew@islandnet.com
>
> Victoria, British Columbia
> Canada

Rob,
        Do you have any contacts with manufacturers doing propane conversions?
I have converted my '85 D250 recently. I
am in the process of rebuilding a 340 for in my truck to make use of the
advangages of propane such as the avg 115 Octane rating which is
excellent for high compression. I am thinking about converting my Dak,
but the only mfgr I can find that is DRBII compatible is TechnoCarb.
They are located in Canada with no dealers in my area (Chicago). They
are also hard to get a hold of on the internet as they are slow to
respond (if ever) to my emails.

L8r

Tom

'96 Dakota CC, 2wd, 5.2L, Auto, 3.55SG, Gibson CAT Back