Re: Propane Conversions

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 17:18:41 EDT

>Rob,
> Do you have any contacts with manufacturers doing propane conversions?
>I have converted my '85 D250 recently. I
>am in the process of rebuilding a 340 for in my truck to make use of the
>advangages of propane such as the avg 115 Octane rating which is
>excellent for high compression. I am thinking about converting my Dak,
>but the only mfgr I can find that is DRBII compatible is TechnoCarb.
>They are located in Canada with no dealers in my area (Chicago). They
>are also hard to get a hold of on the internet as they are slow to
>respond (if ever) to my emails.
>
>L8r
>
>Tom
>
>'96 Dakota CC, 2wd, 5.2L, Auto, 3.55SG, Gibson CAT Back

Tom:

I had all my work done at Rand Automotive, here in Victoria. Phone
(250)381-5455. Ask for Frank, he is the propane guru and has done many,
many, many propane conversions including Dakotas. He can also point you to
the equipment manufacturers.

I did exactly what you are proposing to do to a 340, only it was to a 360.
Some of the things that Rand Auto did as part of the rebuild were:
(1) RV cam
(2) planed (decked?) the block... increased compression.
(3) installed high compression pistons (to fit 340)
(4) no valve rotators.
(5) advance limiter in distributor...critical.
(6) replace carb with mixer
(7) new air filter housing (from a Chev 350...yuch, but much quieter and
cheaper that propane supplier model)
(8) miscl. propane plumbing and fuel tank (fits in place of spare tire ...
90 litre usable).
(9) few gadgets a gizmos to get it to start w/o excessive cranking.
(10) plus other things that I can't remember.

Suggest you do a one-way conversion for your 85. If you have a camper,
keep the gas tank, it would make an excellent gray water tank. Dak would do
well with a dual conversion.

Keep in mind, approval and regulations are different in the US, than it
Canada.

Rebuilt cost about $1000 more that a normal rebuilt. They figured about 30
hp more. Would leave the 350 Chevs in the dust. Of course, couldn't touch
my Dakota.

Once you get used to the stink, propane is a great fuel.