Re: ABS- Worth it?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 23:46:14 EDT

>just wondering what ya'll thought of ABS brakes, do you think it is worth

I have a '93 4x4. The reast of the list is probably tired of hearing
how great I think ABS is for off-road use. Basically, I think that with
the masses involved in the braking system of a truck like ours, there's
no way you can modulate the power brakes for an optimal stop on uneven
or slippery surfaces. I think you might be better off on dry pavement
without it, but on gravel, or steep decents in loose stuff...

Also, the ABS can ease off on one wheel, while still braking with another.

I woouldn't put ABS on my 1900 lb sports car, but I won't buy a truck
without it now.

Jim

--
Happiness is (according to Aristotle): "The exercise of vital powers
along lines of excellence in a life affording them scope."