Re: ABS- Worth it?

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 00:52:03 EDT

> >just wondering what ya'll thought of ABS brakes, do you think it is worth
>
> I have a '93 4x4. The reast of the list is probably tired of hearing
> how great I think ABS is for off-road use. Basically, I think that with
> the masses involved in the braking system of a truck like ours, there's
> no way you can modulate the power brakes for an optimal stop on uneven
> or slippery surfaces. I think you might be better off on dry pavement
> without it, but on gravel, or steep decents in loose stuff...
>
> Also, the ABS can ease off on one wheel, while still braking with another.
>
> I woouldn't put ABS on my 1900 lb sports car, but I won't buy a truck
> without it now.
>
> Jim
> --
> Happiness is (according to Aristotle): "The exercise of vital powers
> along lines of excellence in a life affording them scope."

I still don't know, I've had pretty good experince with the regular brakes
on the '86 Dodge , I've yet to hit anyone, and I've had people pull outt
10-15 foot in front of me and I locked her down and she stopped, this is a
full-size 4X4 were talking about to, left black streaks but she stopped in
plenty of time, where I live people don't know how to drive, and this
happens often, and I've yet to come close to hitting any of them. But I'm
leaning torward ABS on the Dak, guess I might as well get the full package
since they come with rear ABS already, guess I'll decide at the
dealership.
Later-
Bruce