Re: Propane Conversions

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 11:37:14 EDT

At 09:26 AM 5/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>with propane, you should get much better mileage due to its near complte
>combustion. propane is a better fuel than gasoline because gas is made of
>many constituents which all have diffeent boiling points and other
>properties. propane is pure.
>
>-Mark Robert Hryckiewicz (DesignTech@Worldnet.att.net)
> http://members.tripod.com/~DesignTech
>
>Dakota-Chat Room http://members.tripod.com/~MasterOfR

Mark:

Not true. There is 30% less energy in a litre of propane than in a litre
of gasoline (therefore fuel economy falls - miles per gallon). However, by
advancing the timing (higher octane), you increase you're fuel economy a bit.

Depending upon your application, fuel economy may stay the same or drop off.

When I converted my 360 V8 ('78 3/4 ton Dodge), the fuel economy did not
change (10 mpg). When I had a 360 rebuilt to run on propane (higher
compression etc), the fuel economy when up to 12 mpg. Plus lots more power.

My neighbour converted his 400 V8 to propane and the fuel economy dropped
from 10 to 8 mpg.

But, at the time, propane was less than 1/3 the price of gasoline, so who
cares! For a long while it was less than 20 cents for litre. It was
actually cheaper to fuel my 3/4 ton than my wife's Volare Wagon with a
slant 6.

It's currently 29 cents, but the government is promising to add a road tax
as well.