RE:Alternate Fuels

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 14:10:35 EDT

At 11:52 AM 5/23/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Rob,
>
> That was always one concern I had about possibly moving to the US. No
propane powered vehicles. At some point in time, it is likely we will have
that much more propane around than hydrocarbon condensates like gasoline,
and will have to power vehicles via propane. As far as electrics go, I was
down in Beverly Hills (just looking, can't afford anything there) and saw
one of the Saturn EV1 electric cars, and had just read a review in the LA
Times about them. Total range on a single charge is about 90 miles, and
top end is about 60 MPH. No thanks, I'll keep my Dak running on pure
golden gasoline for awhile. Speaking of the Dak's, I'm curious as to which
mud flaps you bought for your Dak, I think you said the soft rubber, as
opposed to molded plastic? Is this correct, and why the rubber over
plastic? I'm kind of leaning toward rubber mud flaps as well, as the doors
seem to collect a lot of rain and slush (Damn May snow storms here). Let
me know what you picked.

>Pat Buthmann

Pat:

I have the plastic molded mud flaps. As far as propane conversions go, I
think the only way is a dual conversion for a new Dakota. Only thing you
have to worry about is the gasoline going stale in your fuel lines and tank.

At 29 cents/litre propane is still a bargain (same price here...hit a high
of 40 cents this winter). I don't believe that it will stay there. As
more people convert, greed takes over and the price goes up.

The Ministry of Environment, BC government has a couple of electric
vehicles running around. Another upcomming alternative is the Ballard fuel
cell. It uses hydrogen for fuel and generates electricity to power an
electric car. Ballard has a bus running around Vancouver. No pollution,
just water vapour.

Mercedes Benz has just bought a chunk of Ballard..

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada