Re: For Rob....97' Dakota tow hooks

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sat May 24 1997 - 23:58:57 EDT

At 03:24 PM 5/24/97 GMT, you wrote:

>Rob,
>
> I remember you saying that splash shield was interfering with
>your brake line. I just when out and looked at mine and on my truck,
>the metal brake line is routed over the top of the crossmember and is
>held in place by plastic clips. Two things come to mind...
>
> 1) Your brake line is mis-routed
>
> 2) Could it be a transmission cooler line? (Mine's a stick, so
>
> I have no idea where the cooler lines are routed
>
>Ask John, he has a manual can could look it up and tell us the correct
>line and where it should be mounted.
>

> If I can ever get my photos scaned and put up on my site it
>would be easier to see mine and compare it to yours. I'll try to this
>week.
>

> Steve
>
>97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock
brakes...

Steve:

First thing I checked was the routing (so did the dealer) ... it's the same
on every other Dakota on the lot. It drops in front of the cross member
(from under the battery) on the drivers side, then back to the top of the
cross member to cross to the passenger side. When the dealer reinstalled
the plastic shield, he had it tucked inside the frame, this pressed against
the brake line and pushed it towards the passenger side (and popped it out
of the plastic clips). I pried the plastic shield out so it pressed onto
the bottom of the frame (and it fits very well... probably was supposed to
be this way), and it covers the brake line but does not press against it.
Also put the brake line back into the clips.

But even without the tow hook setup, the plastic shield does not really
protect the brake line on the drivers side. The dealer has one up on the
display rack and the brakeline clearly shows beyond the plastic shield.
Anyway, I think this is a dumb way to route the lines. It should be on
top, or behind the cross member.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com