Re: For Rob....97' Dakota tow hooks

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Sat May 24 1997 - 18:06:39 EDT

On Sat, 24 May 1997 20:58:57 -0700, you wrote:

>First thing I checked was the routing (so did the dealer) ... it's the same
>on every other Dakota on the lot. It drops in front of the cross member
>(from under the battery) on the drivers side, then back to the top of the
>cross member to cross to the passenger side. When the dealer reinstalled
>the plastic shield, he had it tucked inside the frame, this pressed against
>the brake line and pushed it towards the passenger side (and popped it out
>of the plastic clips). I pried the plastic shield out so it pressed onto
>the bottom of the frame (and it fits very well... probably was supposed to
>be this way), and it covers the brake line but does not press against it.
>Also put the brake line back into the clips.

Ok, I gotcha now. I was looking at mine from the passenger side. The
shield does go in front of the cross member, and I remember my dad and
I laughing at the directions on how to cut it to clear the hook frame.
The directions want you to cut the hell out of it, and basically
destroy it in the process. My dad worked for Chrysler for twenty years
and he said it was common for the factory to mess these things up. We
just notched it a very small amount on both sides with a pair of tin
snips and it fits perfectly. We traced out the cuts with a piece of
chalk per the directions and they are way off. It will work their way,
but you cut a lot more than is needed, and it would look like crap.

I don't have much faith in the dealers mechanics, so I do all my own
work and services. Things like they did to your truck really scare me,
they are supposed to know how to install such items. It sounds like
they didn't know how to cut the shield either and certainly did not
know how to re-install it. They could have easily broke the brake line
and really given you a ride. I remember taking the shield off the
truck by pulling the plastic clips off and then the whole deal was
much easier. I also remember studying it for awhile so I was sure to
put it back correctly.

>But even without the tow hook setup, the plastic shield does not really
>protect the brake line on the drivers side. The dealer has one up on the
>display rack and the brakeline clearly shows beyond the plastic shield.
>Anyway, I think this is a dumb way to route the lines. It should be on
>top, or behind the cross member.

        I agree. It should be better protected. Since I four-wheel
quite a bit I think I'll look in to protecting it, maybe with a plate
of some kind. Since it's now dark, I'll have to look at it in the
morning.

Since I spent a bit of time looking at this area today while I was
washing the truck, I noticed a few problems that I'll need the dealer
to fix. It appears that the battery is leaking, as the frame, steering
gear box, and the power steering hoses are corroded. I am really
pissed about this. Another thing they are going to look into is the
rapid disappearance of washer fluid from the holding tank. I have had
the truck five months now and I have gone through two complete tanks
of fluid and I have only used the wiper-wash one time! I remember that
someone on the list had this problem and it was "fixed" with the
installation of a one-way-valve. I have not noticed fluid under the
truck nor have I seen it on the windshield while on the highway. Also
the passenger door is not closing correctly, and it never has. The
wife made it much worse when she got out to spot for me on a sharp
switchback while the truck was sitting like this---> / . As you can
guess she just popped open the door without holding on to it. She bent
the lower door hinge. Almost grounds for divorce!!! =]

        Steve

97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes...