Re: Dies at idle

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Sun May 25 1997 - 17:44:24 EDT

dbm49@earthlink.net wrote:

> There is a speed sensor that controls two functions: low speed idle and
> O/D operation. Simple job to replace. I could even come up with a part
> number for a '93 4 x 4 V-6 (i.e., mine).
>
> dave

Just want to say thanks to all of you who responded to my post.

I'm pretty sure it was the AIS motor on the throttle body. The other
day I bought some air intake cleaner and cleaned the throttle body bores
and the butterflys and the air passage the AIS uses. Then I removed the
AIS and cleaned it as best I could. I used a shop rag and cleaned
inside the TB and the hole where the AIS goes in. So far this has
worked. Truck has not wanted to die even once. I tried my best to
reproduce the situations that made it die before (like parking lot
driving, red lights and such) but it idles solid as a rock. So I
believe it was just that the AIS motor was carboned up and not
responding fast enough. If it starts to act up again I will buy a new
AIS motor and try that. If that's not it then the speed sensor, but
cruise and o/d works fine so I think mine is still good (61,000 mi.)

BTW does anyone know how to test an AIS motor like with a volt meter or
something? Mine is probably ok, the SBEC gives no error codes...

Thanks again guys!

--
Michael Clark                    mike@snakebite.com
	93 Mark III 4X2 reg. cab SWB