Re: '97 Exhaust Upgrade (again)

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Sun May 25 1997 - 13:13:18 EDT

On Sun, 25 May 1997 11:36:05 -0400, you wrote:

>Obviously I know about the Gibson system (Steve, now that you have had the
>system on for awhile, what's your views?) and someone posted another
>system, don't remember what it was.

I love it. I made the right choice and did quite a bit of research
before I bought it. Gibson has a good reputation, and from what I
hear, good service also. It tucks right back up where the factory
system was and uses all of the original hangers. The only thing that
makes it stick out from stock is the 4" chrome tip and the sewer pipe
size (3"). I have been on two serious trails since I put it on, and
the extra low-end power is a great benefit. I have seen a small
increase in gas milage (1-2 MPG) after it was put on.

I went with a single exhaust as you know, and still feel it was the
better choice. I suppose there is room for another pipe under there
but due to the fact that I have a rear-sway bar, trailer hitch under
there too I didn't want any hassles. The factory system also has heat
shields above the pipes/muffler/cat all the way from the firewall to
just behind the rear wheel. I guess you could make some for another
pipe, but I worried about the extra pipe melting my rubber bed mat
without them. I seriously doubt that an extra pipe gives you any real
world gains over the single in a stock system.

It sounds great too. I am sold...

        Steve

97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes...