K&N clone installed

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Mon May 26 1997 - 18:20:58 EDT

I got my "Meldrum" K&N clone installed this weekend. I'm very impressed,
especially with the improved engine/exhaust sound at WOT. It really sounds
like a V8 now. It also has a much improved throttle response. However, I
am a little dissapointed with the performance at higher speeds (above 55) in
4th or 5th gear. It seems like the performance has decreased a bit at in
these conditions--it just doesn't want to accelerate as quickly. I think
maybe this is caused by a lack of forced cool air. The stock air assembly
would theoretically work the best at higher speeds since the air would be
forced through the snorkel tubes and into the TBI. In hopes of trying to
improve the performance at higher speeds I removed the air filter from the
stock air filter box and put the tube from the air filter box so that it
points at the K&N setup. This seemed to help a little. I know it is not
forcing air through the TBI, but it is hopefully routing some cool external
air to the filter. Also, my first interstate trip after the install came at
a 1 mpg decrease. However, the computer may not have compensated for the
new abundance of air. I'll keep you posted on how the next trip turns out.
                Andy Callahan
       quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net
   '97, V8, CC, Sport, 3.55, 5-speed, 4x2
           Tire & Handling Package