Re: attn: Dak owners with 180 degree thermostats.

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 13:29:49 EDT

> Robert Lee Cobb Jr. wrote:
> >
> > Guys, for those of you who have installed a 180 degree thermostat to
> > help eliminate some detonation, do you now have the trouble code of
> > "17" come up when you run the self-diagnostics check? I do. The
> > truck seems to run fine and I'm getting great gas mileage. Should I
> > worry about it?
>
> and Michael Clark wrote:
>
> Code 17 is "engine running too cold" acording to my Haynes manual. Of
> the few guys that have used a 180 on the list I have not heard of this
> problem so I think it could be possible that your coolant temp sensor
> might be off a bit and is seeing a colder temp. than what is there. Or,
> your thermostat is stuck open??? Do you have an open element, or stock
> air box? Since your gas mileage is ok I would guess that the computer
> is going into open loop like it should (or is it closed loop when warm?
> I forget..) I dont know, some ideas for ya, but a 180 should work...
>
> One more thing you might try is to disconnect the bat and clear the code
> and see if it comes back. I unplugged my air intake temp. sensor and
> got a code. It would not clear until I diconnected and erased the
> memory. It would probably have gone away after a while but it was
> buggin me...

Guys;
My temp guage NEVER, and I mean NEVER read above the lowest 'normal' range
just above the 'C' since I had the truck (new in sept 1990). As far as the
'codes' go... I never looked until I joined this list and found out how to!

When I had my tranny prob about 6 months ago, I brought it to the dealer
and he put the DRBII on it and told me I was running too cold for too long.
(ala code 17). Sure enough after joining the list to try to figure out my
tranny prob, I found out the code check method and there it was... Code 17.
I changed out my thermostat, (suggested temp -> 195) and the guage came up
to center on the guage - a position at which I have never seen it before.
I really didn't notice any remarkable difference in the running of my truck,
but my gas mileage DID get better. Must have been bad from the factory...
but stuck open will still give you better mileage (~14mpg - miles per gallon)
than stuck close (~0mp - miles period!)
bottom line. The dealer told me bad t'stats are NOT uncommon from the factory!
FWIW.
-rICK
'90 4x4 3.9L Auto(A500)