Picin' on WillTeir [was Re: Muscle cars ......]

From: L. J. Morris (ljohn@alltel.net)
Date: Fri May 30 1997 - 10:59:04 EDT

All right that's all I can stands, can't stands no more!

Hey the *Hemi* is for sale, ya interested?

Let me see, 5W + 50W = 55W, 55W/2 = 27.5W average oil weight, only 2.5W
below SAE 30W. Also have three (3 for those that can't read) bottles of
oil sittin' in front of me, *Gulfpride*, Kendall GT-1, Castrol Syntec,
funny they all have an API Service Spec. of SH, SG, which means they all
meet the same engineering requirements.

Ya know all them additives that are formulated into multi-viscosity oils
tend to breakdown rather quickly, they also tend to stick to the inards of
that there engine.

FYI, did ya ever tear down an engine that a guy operated with Series 3
diesel oil in it from the day it was new? Looks like a bunch of elfs were
in there scrubbin'' the cast iron (or in the case of CC case steel, another
story) with a tooth brush, the point being I don't think CC would recommend
using diesel oil in your 5.2L. But the engine in question had 165,000 miles
on it and did not use a drop of oil, however that's about all that was left
of the truck, Mr. corrosion got to the body and abuse ruined the rest. (He
also changed oil and filter every 3000 miles, I think even if he had to
stop in the middle of the road and do it).

The next thing I will address is the quality of crude the oil is refined
from, depending where on the Blue Planet that the crude came from it can
have 'naturally' occurring paraffin, which when put in a heated, cooled,
moisture absorbing crankcase can stick to the innards like epoxy glue. If
this paraffin content is high, doesn't matter how much you change oil, you
will still get sludge.

Therefore, as I stated in my original post on the oil subject, as requested
by Tony, there is mucho brand loyalty out there and many reasons why. I
would suggest that you call the manufacturer of your favorite brand and
request a specification sheet listing percentages of content on paraffin,
dyes, additives, etc., etc. and really educate yourself.

For Bill who thought I was kidding about something (filling bottles), my
friend who owns and runs a bulk oil distribution plant has a three ring
binder about 3 inches thick with the specifications for every brand and
type of oil produced. If a firm comes in and wants an oil type like XYZ
brand, he mixes it according to the spec. and sends it out in a white
unmarked 5 gallon pail.

"Ya know, I know a little bit about everything, but I am not an expert at
anything"

Just my opinions, and sharing my experience ;-)

P.S., Bill I own stock in Gulf Oil, Chelsea, MA 02150 ;-) ;-) Some of
the preceding is serious and some ribbing, God only knows I love a good
ribbing, huh ... Old Boy!

                           L. John Morris<ljohn@alltel.net>
                        !!!!! ... your local *HEMI* owner ...!!!!!
           White/Driftwood/CC/4x4/5.2L/5spd/3.92SG/FIPK clone
                                     *Gibson* on the way