RE: My first 50 miles

From: Pat Buthmann (patb@mindless.com)
Date: Fri May 30 1997 - 14:49:18 EDT

I've noticed the same thing on my '97. With the 22 Gal tank, (83L), the most I've ever put in was 18 Gal (68L). It's comforting to know that you've got the better part of 50 or so miles of leeway, but it's a pain in the a@@ when the gauge reads empty, the idiot lights flashing at you, and you have to delay your trip to wherever due to a fill-up. It usually happens when I'm in a hurry too. Probably the first time I try to stretch it, I'll run out. At least the fuel needle doesn't bounce around like the one in my YJ. Had to be the worst sending unit ever. I never knew if the tank was full, empty, or somewhere in between.

Pat Buthmann

>> Forgot to mention this... Since the dealer only put 1/4
>> tank in for the prep, it wasn't long until I heard the
>> little <ding> and saw the gas tank light. Stopped to fill
>> it up (89). One thing I hate about the Exploder, mileage
>> is about the same as the Dak will be (about 18-19). It
>> doesn't have an idiot light for gas (ok, I'm the idiot).
>> Been more than one time I've gotten to the gas station
>> on vapors because I didn't look at the gas gauge until
>> it was almost too late.
>>
>> --
>> +-------------------------------------------------+
>> | Chip Maurer
>What do you expect Chip, it's a Ferd.
>Bruce

   My '96 doesn't have an idiot light either. What's worse is that
Dodge appears to use the same sender for the 17 gallon and the 21 gallon
tank, so my tank reads empty when I still have 4 gallons left... Its
a real pain to guess where my fuel is going to run out, so when I
fill up, I'm usually putting 17 gallons in. Sure, the larger tank
gives me a little more leeway, but as far as stretching the time between
refills, I might as well have a 17 gallon tank...

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.