Re: '97 Automatic problems Attn: Stacy Clark

From: Tom McCabe (mccabet@megsinet.net)
Date: Sun Jun 01 1997 - 12:24:23 EDT

DRD892@aol.com wrote:

> Stacy,
>
> The red gear indicator (dash) isn't loose on mine but it doesn't seem to be
> in the right place. When the indicator is centered on "D" the shift lever
> has already started down to the "2" position. It will snap back the first
> bump I hit. Think it needs a linkage adjustment.

The dealer adjusted mine under warranty.

> Also, I have not been happy with the shift pattern. Shifted OK at wide-open
> Throttle but partial throttle shifts have been very poor and erratic.

The dealer attempted to adjust the transmission, improved it a little
bit, but not to my liking. Dealer could only comeback with "that's the
way they are". My transmission is so erratic, I was willing to pay to
have the 5 speed put in. Needless to say, they would not do it.

> Taking the Dak to the transmission shop Monday night. Having the fluid
> and filter changed, and new electronic valve body (shift kit) and a large
> Hayden Cooler installed. This should make it shift how I want it too.
>
> If any folks who have a '97 automatic and are interested in this modification
> I will try to get the part numbers involved and the prices. The cost
> estimate
> for me was about $450.

I'd be interested in the part numbers. It should be the same as my
'96. The dealer is no help with the erratic shifting. I assume the
shift kit cured the problem? What type of shift did you go with.. heavy
duty, or street/strip?

--
Tom McCabe
-mccabet@megsinet.net