Re: Some questions about my truck?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 18:13:32 EDT

I think with the bad press Saturn got with the intro on engine noise
and vibes, they probably pay more attention to it than any other
manufacturer. Still, the Magnum V8 should not rock at idle -- Sam,
your engine is missing! It may be only occasional - miss a heartbeat
out of a couple hundred - and it's only likely to happen at idle, when
the intake charge mixture is probably the least consistent.

I would point my finger at the ignition, only because I've battled
with that quite a bit (new coil and Accel wires work!). However, it
could also be an injector solenoid that objects to the very brief
open time of idle speed operation by sticking occasionally. Might
not even be the same injector every time! All I can say is that now
that I have the ignition REALLY fixed, the engine (even with 110K)
idles nice and smooth, and I have the OEM injectors -- I have to
conclude that well cared for (mostly Chevron, occasional shot of
their Techroline cleaner) injectors are pretty reliable.

A new truck like Ryan's might have a bad injector from the factory --
what the reliability folks call infant mortality.

Jim

[Roberto's is okay for good-cheap-fast, but shrimp tacos from Fins
are supremo! Even then, Sunday or Monday is best (freshest).]