Re: Mileage issues..

From: Ryan LeBlanc (rleblanc@deltanet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 19:33:35 EDT

Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:

> > Speaking of high speeds :-)!!! I had my 97 Dakota 5.2 at 125 and
> the
> > fuel shut off. It felt like the whole engine just fell out of the
> > truck. I let of the accelorator and lowered my speed - fuel turned
> back
> > on. Doesn't the SBEC get rid of that nasty little governor?
> >
> > P.S. The truck felt as solid at 120 as it does at 60. I love this
> > truck!!!
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> So is the governor in the computer or what, is there any way it can be
> removed. Also does it cut off at a certain speed or a certain rpm, I
> mean
> if I'm pulling really high rpms 4-wheeling is it going to cut off then
> too, cause that would be a sure-fire way to get stuck if it cuts off
> while
> your in the middle of a big mudhole, if anyone knows I would like the
> info. Sorry about adding more questions to your question I'm just
> curious. e
>
> P.S.- Hey Ryan, so does it still feel stable underneath you at that
> speed,
> I mean does the rear end start feeling slippery underneath you at that
> speed, also does it still handle as well at those speeds. Thanx
>
> Bruce

Bruce, It was solid i.e. not shaking or feeling like it was going to
fall apart - like a friend of mine's toyota "junk" Tercel does at 75.
It felt a little more squirmish under me and at the rear end. If I had
to jerk the wheel really hard, the back end would probably have become
the front end and I would have been doing 120 in reverse while flipping
over. Anyway, It wasn't trying to wander it just pointed in the same
direction and kept going till the fuel shut off. It would have been
just as easy to keep control of it with one hand on the wheel as with
two. I usually drive with one hand, but decided at that speed to use
two. Just in case... you know. Oh well, I'm sure it was not a good
idea to be going at that speed in the middle of the day in the middle of
town (LA, Calif.) The California Highway Patrol is not a very forgiving
group of police officers. A friend of mine got pulled over in the
desert for doing 120 in his Miata. Cost him $1300 for that ticket. He
said he saw a little speck behind him, he knew he had already been
nailed so didn't let off the accelerator and about 5 min. later he was
sitting on the side of the road getting his ticket. The CHP use Ford
Mustangs out here. That cop must have been hauling to catch up to him
that quickly. Anyway, the point to my story is I don't want to pay a
$1300 ticket. Guess I'll have to wait until I can go to Montana!!!

Ryan