Re: Meldrum filter

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 12:38:11 EDT

>OK guys. I'm a Computer Engineer so I'm not up on this mechie stuff.
>Why does an open-air filter give better flow than a 'regular' closed one? I

An internal combustion engine is basically a glorifies air pump. Anything
you can do to decrease the restriction of air getting in, and exhaust gases
getting out, will reduce the Work the engine has to do just to run. It's
also a good deal more complicated than that. You're talking about a pump
that's mounted in a moving vehicle, so you ought to consider taking
advantage of the airflow (ie. Ram Air induction - higher static air
pressure at the front of the vehicle). And taking your exhaust manifolds
off won't make more power - you need to consider the dynamics of the gas
pulse as it escapes the combustion chamber, past the valve, and thru the
exhaust port. Exhaust systems are designed to 'scavenge' the combustion
chamber by timing the pulses so that the exhaust port is actually at a
vacuum when the intake and exhaust ports are both open, clearing the
last of one charge and filling with fresh fuel/air mixture.

Jim
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you;
but if you really make them think they'll hate you." --Aristotle