Re: Stick vs. Auto

From: Chip Maurer (chip@unx.dec.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 17:07:35 EDT

> > > Speaking of auto vs. 5-speed, I wonder what the ratio is of people
> > on the
> > > list who have 5-speeds to the ones who have automatics??

If someone's counting. I've got the 5 speed (and love it).

If I remember right, the local dealer had mostly V6/auto's
on the lot (that's what I test drove). Here in NJ, sticks
are rare (lots-o'traffic). I admit my standard is a pain
in heavy traffic, but where I live, traffic is not much
of an issue (yes, there are open spaces in NJ).

BTW, recent trip to delaware got 16.5 MPG, even with only
500 miles on the truck. I was pleased. Does anyone know
how does the overhead console measure consumption? Is it
hooked directly to the fuel pump? There seemed to be some
discussion as to its accuracy.

Another thing. I'm REAL happy with initial quality. I've
yet to spot a defect. Rides smooth and quiet. V8 power is
very, very nice. I've gotten a LOT of positive comments by
people who've seen it or sat in it (only had it a week).

Thanks a lot to all you guys for your input into my decisions.

Chip Maurer
'97, SLT+, 5-spd, V8, CC, 4x4, T&H