Re: 5 speed availability and other matters

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 13:41:13 EDT

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 20:39:23 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>I don't know there Steve, you put an auto in 4 Low 1st, it does the same
>thing, I've got a hill on my farm that is about a 50% grade and I go up
>and down it all the time and never have a problem, it holds itself back
>going down, and don't even have to hit the gas going up, I even pushed my
>brother's ton truck(Loaded down with tools) up that hill and never had to
>push the gas. I love autos.
>
>Bruce

Depends on the truck and how it's geared. My work truck, a Chevy 2500
4X4 couldn't hold on a hill with an anchor, and several times I've
been wheeling and seen people standing on the brakes trying to hold
the truck at a slow speed. What is even worse is a Chevy anti-lock
brakes system on a steep hill, I've seen several that when it gets
steep, the ABS kicks in and you go for a ride! It all boils down to
gearing, I don't have the figures in front of me but the Dak auto only
has a 30 something to 1 ratio, the stick really makes a difference. To
each his own, but you'll never beat a stick for slow-speed,
rock-crawling wheeling.

        Steve (Likes them sticks, but for a daily driver, give me an
auto, esp. in the city)

97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes
Gibson Cat-Back...
Home Page at http://www.primenet.com/~slow