Re: 5 speed availability and other matters

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 21:09:56 EDT

> Depends on the truck and how it's geared. My work truck, a Chevy 2500
> 4X4 couldn't hold on a hill with an anchor, and several times I've
> been wheeling and seen people standing on the brakes trying to hold
> the truck at a slow speed. What is even worse is a Chevy anti-lock
> brakes system on a steep hill, I've seen several that when it gets
> steep, the ABS kicks in and you go for a ride! It all boils down to
> gearing, I don't have the figures in front of me but the Dak auto only
> has a 30 something to 1 ratio, the stick really makes a difference. To
> each his own, but you'll never beat a stick for slow-speed,
> rock-crawling wheeling.
>

> Steve (Likes them sticks, but for a daily driver, give me an
> auto, esp. in the city)
>

> 97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes
> Gibson Cat-Back...
> Home Page at http://www.primenet.com/~slow

You compare a Dak to a Chevy, what's wrong with you (just kidding!). But
seriously I've never had any problem with an auto in off-road conditions,
never been stuck or lost control due to it slipping, to me autos are good
for everything from play to cruising to work, but that's my opinion. Like
you say to each his own.

Bruce