Re: Mileage issues...

From: Alan Casey (acasey@mail.io.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 12:48:49 EDT

> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:57:58 -0500
> From: Phil Hyde <philh@insync.net>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: Mileage issues...

> Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:
> >
> > "Well who buys a truck for gas mileage anyways, right" That's what I'm
> > saying, if you want fuel-efficiency get a little four-banger to drive back
> > and fourth to work and save Dak for having fun on weekends. As far as
> > false representation, that is an EPA estimate, CC doesn't really have
> > anything to do with that number, so you can't blame them for not achieving
> > those results, besides you can get better MPG's with a few minor changes
> > like better exhaust, better flowing air filters (The "Meldrum" setup for
> > one), having the timing adjusted, etc... Besides I believe in the chant
> > of "More Power, More Power" (And I believe I've chosen right truck for
> > that, notice how similar that chant is to MOPAR, MOPAR, maybe that's how
> > they came up with that name originally) so I'll live with the MPGs.
>
> I think we agree here. I would like to do some easy mods to my truck,
> but it will probably be a while since I just forked over a good chunk
> of cash to buy my truck ;-)
>
> I've heard that the exhaust is pretty good on the Dakota - better than
> the Ram anyways because that's what Dodge claims makes 10 more horses
> in the Dak. You guys are more experienced, however, so it could
> be b.s.
>
> What effect does changing out the throttle body and air cleaner assembly
> have on performance/economy? What about the timing? The company Magnum
> Performance is here in Houston, so I thought I'd give them a shot.
>
> thanks,
> --
> Phil Hyde - Houston, TX.
> work - ephy@ngccorp.com (M-F 8-5) play - philh@insync.net
> www - http://www.insync.net/~philh

Well Phil I paid for a throttle body back in
Feburary from Magnum Performance and I am still
waiting, I think I am going to cancel my order
and put it towards other mods, they must be
really behind for there to be that kind of back-
order. As for air cleaner assembly, its a good
choice (cheap!) and it gives good results.

Alan...