Re: Mileage issues...

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 22:57:58 EDT

Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:

> "Well who buys a truck for gas mileage anyways, right" That's what I'm
> saying, if you want fuel-efficiency get a little four-banger to drive back
> and fourth to work and save Dak for having fun on weekends. As far as
> false representation, that is an EPA estimate, CC doesn't really have
> anything to do with that number, so you can't blame them for not achieving
> those results, besides you can get better MPG's with a few minor changes
> like better exhaust, better flowing air filters (The "Meldrum" setup for
> one), having the timing adjusted, etc... Besides I believe in the chant
> of "More Power, More Power" (And I believe I've chosen right truck for
> that, notice how similar that chant is to MOPAR, MOPAR, maybe that's how
> they came up with that name originally) so I'll live with the MPGs.

I think we agree here. I would like to do some easy mods to my truck,
but it will probably be a while since I just forked over a good chunk
of cash to buy my truck ;-)

I've heard that the exhaust is pretty good on the Dakota - better than
the Ram anyways because that's what Dodge claims makes 10 more horses
in the Dak. You guys are more experienced, however, so it could
be b.s.

What effect does changing out the throttle body and air cleaner assembly
have on performance/economy? What about the timing? The company Magnum
Performance is here in Houston, so I thought I'd give them a shot.

thanks,

--
Phil Hyde - Houston, TX.
work - ephy@ngccorp.com (M-F 8-5)    play - philh@insync.net