Re: 92 v6 dakota club cab milage, 5spd, air

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 07 1997 - 00:36:40 EDT

Well Earl,
        From what I've seen on the list your gas mileage sounds good,
that's about what other V-6's on the list are getting. As far as rough
idle is concerned I would suggest first thing you try is to put some fuel
injector treatment in your gas, because when the injectors get clogged it
will do that, if you let it go to long one morning you'll go out and it
won't even crank. Had it happen one day a few years ago on a '89 Olds
Cutlass I used to have (Great car, it was an auto but would smoke tires
at redlights, I'm still kicking myself for flipping it 2 years ago), took
me 30 minutes to get it to crank, it just kept turning and turning and
would never fire, when it finally cranked went straight to store and
bought some treatment and put it in and never had another problem out of
it, cranked on 1st turnover after that. If it's not that or the other
things you mentioned, it might need a tune-up or timing adjustment. I'd
be inclined to agree with you, it may be rated as less powerful I bet the
new 318 would still beat the old 273, and actually I think someone
said the cut-off was at like 5000 rpm's on the 318, so I'm sure the
273 would beat in that aspect. I agree that a V6 is enough for a 2wd
but personally I belive that for a 4X4 you gotta go V8, it has a whole
lot more torque to get you through those hairy trails. BTW, I must say
you must have b@##s of steel to go past the Sheriff's house at 129, I mean
I love to go fast but I would never do it where I knew cops were around.
Sounds like it was a cool ride, don't know personally but my dad always
liked Studebakers and that's good enough for me. Later-

Bruce