Re: Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 09 1997 - 14:08:23 EDT

At 09:06 PM 6/7/97 -0400, WillTier@aol.com wrote:

><< had resigned myself to the idea that, if I ever wanted a supercharger,
> I'd have to fork out over 3 grand on it. >>
>
>Jon
>
>All the things I have read about superchargers have been less than desireable
>other than more power but the also have heat and detonation problems and are
>noisey and I doubt that $3000 would come close for a proper set up reasonably
>trouble free installation. Also it is not only a afternoons work to put one
>on and if the truck is under warrantee it is history. I thought I wanted one
>and sent for a lot of info and did a lot of research into them (Vortek and
>Paxton) and scrapped the whole idea and went to NOS. I didn't need a lot more
>on the street but just leave the bottle open and it would be there but wanted
>it to kick butt at the drags, which it does. I do not know if they are
>available for newer than the 93 yet but I know they were working on them..
>From What I have read you would have $4000 plus for s proper setup super
>charger and then not fool proof. I will have to dig up the article I read and
>share it with you..

  Darn, I can't win. :)

   You're right, there would be some extra items involved which
would push the price of a supercharger up. Nitrous is available for
the '96's, but it costs about $1,000. I'd be interested in that article
you mentioned... From what I've read, supercharging seems to be the
safer of the two methods. It seemed to me that it was a lot easier
to screw up your engine with nitrous.

    Maybe I have an incorrect view of nitrous, but it has always seemed
to me that the applications for nitrous and a supercharger were different.
Nitrous has always seemed to be for a short burst of power whereas a
supercharger is always there; a part of the engine... I want horsepower
that is always there; for any duration, at any speed. Maybe nitrous
can do that, I don't know enough about it.

   I'm not sure if nitrous would work for me... If it would, it
is certainally cheaper than a supercharger. Initially, anyway...
Refilling those bottles sounds expensive! I'd guess $25 apiece?
For the $2,000 difference, you could refill 80 times. Anything
after that, and the money you've spent could have been a supercharger
which costs nothing after initial installation...
How much mileage do you get out of a bottle? Is there a storage time
limit? (does it "go bad"?) Another issue is where to put the bottle...

   I'm not ruling out nitrous... I'd definitely prefer a supercharger,
but maybe I just don't know enough about it; maybe nitrous would be a
better choice. Any info anyone could provide would be great! :)

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.