Re: Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Mon Jun 09 1997 - 22:29:10 EDT

>>With the currently available products a roots type installation would
>>probably still be pricey. If you were willing to switch to the older style
>>'A' block heads you'd have a much easier time of it.
>
> Forgive my ignorance (there's a lot of stuff I'm still learning :),
>but when you say heads, do you mean cylinder heads? If so, how do
>the heads affect what type of supercharger could be installed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Jon-

Hey, never say sorry for wanting to learn sumthin' ya don't know. 8^) I
thought I knew plenty about cars and I've learned a *ton* from this list.

To answer your question.....Yep, cylinder heads. The reason the heads are
the limiting factor for a roots system on the Magnum motor is the intake
manifold. A roots blower need a special intake to mount to. I have yet to
see one available for the Magnum heads. You should be able to find one for
the older 'A' block heads. A good setup could center around Edelbrock's
new aluminum small block Mopar heads. The older head would require a few
changes. Good bye stock roller cam, distributer change, all new valvetrain
gear, small odds and ends.

This is what's nice about the centrifugal units. Completely exterior add
on. Bolt the sucker on like yer swappin' alternators.

If you want contant power a supercharger or a turbo would be a better
choice over nitrous. Both will take life out of your motor due to the fact
that you're using them in more of a WOT type situation. If you did nothing
to your motor and stood on the go pedal all the time you'd shorten it's life.

Hope I covered anything. Anybody want to add? Did I miss anything?

  sean meldrum