exhausts

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 13:23:23 EDT

}
} I got my MP catalog recently. The MP catback looks suspiciously like
} the Gibson. Could be a coincidence, but its possible that the MP is actually
} a Gibson. (Anyone know for sure?)

} I am almost (99.9999...%) positive that the MP headers are actually
} Doug Thorley headers. I think the MP catalog even alludes to the fact
} that they are not made by MP. The picture in the MP catalog is the same
} as the picture for the DTs in MPI's catalog. This isn't unusual, but the
} MP headers are $100 more than the DTs! Which would you buy? ;) Jules
} sells the Gibson for about $5 cheaper than the MP exaust (which includes
} the chrome tip; I don't think the MP exaust comes with the tip)
}
} Headers: MP: $595
} MPI: $499
} Exaust: MP: $295
} MPI: $289

I think we determined last year that the Mopar cat back exhaust was a
Gibson and the Mopar headers were made by Doug Thourley. Then somebody
posted a while back that Doug Thourley was having problems meeting demand
and that Mopar may have found a different source.

} A simliar comparison is the car I used to drive - Ford Taurus SHO.
} The factory came up with a 3.0L DOHC V6 that produced 300hp in
} stock trim. Then, they had to choke the hell out of it to get
} it down to 220hp so they could put a cheap transaxle under it.
} You can get an easy 30-40hp with a custom exhaust on one of
} those cars. Well, enough about that......

"The factory came up with a 3.0L DOHC V6" is misleading. Are we talking
about the SHO with the YAMAHA engine? The one that had to be rpm limited
a couple thousand rpm below redline to prevent the Ford alternator from
exploding?

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD