Re: Brake Question

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 08:24:58 EDT

> My experience with a 4x4 and the stock brakes is similar. The first
> time, they wore out completely in about 30K miles - needed new rotors
> too. I caught with only one wrecked rotor the second time at 45K, but
> switched to NAPA lifetime pads. Little if any difference in rotor
> wear, but the NAPA pads have only needed replacement once, and I now
> have 110 000 miles on the truck. Much more reasonable, to my way of
> thinking!
>
> The Dakota is a pretty heavy vehicle, and the brakes are reasonably
> effective, but Chrysler is evidently out to make money on brake jobs
> due to rotor replacements. Not only due to the pad wear, but the
> horrible warpage the factory rotors get.
>
> BTW - rear shoes are just now about due for replacement (tow pkg).
>
> Jim
> The hyper-violent and the ordinary societies in America are distinguished
> not by their attitudes towards guns, but by their attitudes toward murder.
>
> - Frank Silbermann

Hey Jim, like the quote, and I must say I agree, people kill people, not
guns. BTW, I think it might just be that they went cheap with
brakes/rotors, and like you say the Dak is a fairly heavy vehicle
(Especially in front, which may explain why front brakes wear so quickly,
all the weight of the truck, and thus all the stopping power is on the
front end.) and the result is showing through with premature brake wear.

Bruce